In this session Nick and Simon chat with the editor of SUP Mag UK Tez Plavenieks about how to make the right choice when you are buying your first board. Stand up paddle is the fastest growing watersport worldwide and something that Laird Hamilton predicted “will be bigger than surfing”. This means that there is a growing number of beginners joining the sport, some of whom have never surfed or even been on the water before. Tez uses his long experience of testing boards to explain the choices available and gives some important reminders for anyone at any level looking to buy a new board.
In this episode we cover
- Hayling Island and the godfather of windsurfing Pete Chilvers
- When Tez met SUP and his first time on a board
- How he became the editor of SUP Mag UK
- Tez’s board and kit testing experience
- Basic advice to newbies when buying a board – keep it simple.
- Width, thickness & size
- Demo Days
- Women in SUP
- Board Disciplines
- Fishing & Adventure Paddling
Links & Resources
- SUP Mag UK
- RedPaddle.com US and Rest Of World Red Paddle.co.uk (UK)
- Fat Stick Paddle Boards (UK)
- Wake surfing on a SUP in Alaska (Video)
- UK based waterman
- Tez Plavenieks defies gravity on his windsurfer
- Another board testing session…living the dream.
Mentioned in this episode:
SeaSurf Clothing - Our Back Catalogue Sponsor
This episode is brought to you by NEW eco-clothing brand SeaSurf, which is on a mission to end fashion waste. Their exciting collection is: * Manufactured from 100 percent organic cotton * Made in factories powered by renewable energy * Printed in the UK using eco-friendly water-based ink And any item can be returned to be recycled into new clothes AND you get a store credit for your efforts. Visit the website and start making waves with your wardrobe.